Thursday, September 24, 2009

May Reading 3/2

We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive
Laurie Notaro


Now, given the title and my need for something light and fun to really kick off my summer reading I picked this ...this...this book of essays in the hopes of finding something Sedarisesk between the pages, what i found were mediocre stories a little to long to hold my interest and which tended to veer off topic as soon as they started to get interesting. The first half of the book is decent, but nothing spectacular, Doing America -about Notaro's first book tour, Attack of the XL Girl- a shopping experience gone wrong, and It's Fun to Stay at the YMCA- a charming tale about flipping off an 8 year old are all enjoyable segments, but they are more than counteracted by things like...well the list is to long to make. Needless to say this wasn't exactly what I was looking for, and when in want of a fun essay collection I would like to suggest that anyone reading head for Sedaris or Crosley, both who deliver on a relatability and enjoyability front.

Structure: ****
Story: **

No comments: