Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Princess Saves Herself in This One- Lovelace


I love this new wave of poetry.This Rupi Kaur, Tumblr ready, kind of verse. I am sure there are millions who hate it,but I am in love with the way it forms mantras out of small lines. It cuts deep in a way that people who came of age with twitter and the threat of character limits really understand.

In case you can't tell I'm not an expert in poetry.
Not of any sort.
None the less I can appreciate words that move me. It is clear that Lovelace has been through some unspeakable tragedies. For me, this collections of poems hit the perfect balance of evoking emotion, hitting home, and flow. It's easy to see the person behind this collection. It's someone who has dealt with greif, and heartache. Someone who has come of age during a time where BA's in English are laughable, and where body image issues turn into life consuming problems.
You don't need to relate to every poem to understand the beauty and power in this collection. I'd highly recommend picking up a copy.

No comments: