Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife

Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveler's Wife is a different kind of love story. Clare and Henry meet when she is 6 and he is 43. Henry is a Time Traveler, moving in and out of his past and sometimes future, and those of his loved ones.

I'm having a hard time writing anything about this book. I read Niffenegger's latest book, Her Fearful Symmetry last fall and fell in love with it, but The Time Traveler's Wife didn't seem like something for me. About two weeks ago I was really in the move for something like chick lit with more substance, and picked it up. I loved how fully Clare and Henry's stories were intertwined and I loved both of them as characters. They were both flawed, but were good for each other. I loved Henry's past and it's complexities. However, as they aged (in real time, not Henry's moving time) Clare seemed more dependant, and Henry seemed more sheepish.

It was a good read, well written and well organized. These characteristics saved the book, as it could have been a hellish experence of sorting out where in time Henry was and if it was real time or not. It was definitely worth the time spent reading, but in hindsight I would have rather just picked it up at the library and saved the $13

My rating:
3/5

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I felt the opposite, I loved TTW, but really didn't think much of HFS :)