Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Top Ten - Quotes

Jillian over at Random Ramblings hosts a weekly top ten meme that I love to at least follow when I don't actually have the time to make a list myself. This week I have the time and I love the topic, so without further adieu here are my top ten favorite quotes!


1. "We could imagine all sorts of universes unlike this one, but this is the one that happened."- Foer


2. Over his shoulder i saw a star fall. it was me" -  Tracy Cheviler


3. -“Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” - G. K Chesterton

4. "My brother and i used to play a game. i'd ooint to a chair."THIS IS NOT A CHAIR." I'd say. Bird would point to the table."THIS IS NOT A TABLE.""THIS IS NOT A WALL."i'd say."THAT IS NOT A CEILING."We'd  go on like that."IT IS NOT RAINING OUT." "My SHOE IS NOT UNTIED!" Bird would yell. I'd point to my elbow. "THIS IS NOT A SCRAPE!" Bird would life his knee. "THIS IS ALSO NOT A SCRAPE!" "THAT IS NOT AKETTLE!" "NOT A CUP!" "NOT A SPOON!" NOT DIRTY DISHES!" We denied whole rooms, years, weaters, once, at the peak of our shouting, bird took a deep breath. At the top of his lungs, he shrieked:"I! HAVE NOT! BEEN UNHAPPY! MY WHOLE! LIFE! "But you're only seven," i said" - Krauss

5. "He wondered how many people were destitute that same night even in his own prosperous country, how many homes were shanties, how many husbands were drunk and wives socked, and how many children were bullied, abused or abandoned. How many families hungered for food they could not afford to buy? How many hearts were broken? How many suicides would take place that same night, how many people would go insane? How many cockroaches and landlords would triumph? How many winners were losers, successes failures, rich men poor men? How many wise guys were stupid? How many happy endingsd were unhappy endings? How many honest men were liars, brave men cowards, loyal men traitors, how many sainted men were corrupt, how many people in positions of trust had sold their souls to blackguards for petty cash, how many had never had souls? How many straight-and-narrow paths were brooked paths? How many best families were worst families and how many good people were bad people? When you added them all up and then sibtracted, you might be left with only the children, and perhaps Albert Einstein and an old violinist or sculptor somewhere." - Joseph Heller

6. "I took my morning walk, I took my evening walk, I ate something, I thought about something, I wrotes something, I napped and dreamt something too, and with all that something, I still have nothing because so muchof sum'things has always been and always will be you.
I miss you." - Mark Z. Danielewski

7. "you're always you, and that doesn't change, and you're always changing, and there's nothing you can do about it"- Gaiman

8. “People are always shouting they want to create a better future. It's not true. The future is an apathetic void of no interest to anyone. The past is full of life, eager to irritate us, provoke and insult us, tempt us to destroy or repaint it. The only reason people want to be masters of the future is to change the past.” Kundera (I think?)

9. "This year, I have committed more faults than ever before and I have never been a better person." - Hugo

10. "I feel the same way about disco as i do about herpes" - Hunter S. Thompson

Hope everyone is having a good week!


3 comments:

Jillian said...

From what book is the quote written by Mark Z. Danielewski?? I think I need to get my hands on that book! That is lovely!

Sarah Joyce said...

@Jillian - It's from House of Leaves. It isn't really a great representation of the rest of the book, but it's still really cool.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

You picked such fantastic quotes and authors! I love your list.