Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Nine Stories by J.D. Sallinger

Nine Stories
By J.D. Salinger


I'm not quite sure how to go about this 'review' and i use the word review loosely in this situation.

Nine Stories is composed of nine short stories, several of which are written about (or by) members of the Glass Family. The most notable of the short stories are A Perfect Day for Bannanafish, For Esme - With Love and Squalor and Teddy. When i was reading Catcher in the Rye, and later Franny and Zooey late last year I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved Salinger, having never read him in high school or my prior years in college so when I found myself at Barnes and Noble late last week searching for something to get me into the reading groove for this year I found Nine Stories and Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenter and Seymour and Introduction.

I am in love with the tragic beauty of the Glass family, and i think that that in part is what makes Nine Stories so easily digestible. If you're like me and loved Franny and Zooey, the rest of the family probably seemed just as stories worthy to you as the aforementioned title characters,  so finding out more about them, like Boo Boo, Walt, and of course the infamous Seymour would be a must. the stories that don't relate directly to the Glass family actually happened to be some of my favorites, For Esme and Uncle Wiggly really stood out to me.

I guess what I am trying to say with this train wreck is that I personally loved these stories and see why Salinger is still being talked about today.

No comments: