Monday, February 4, 2013

Top Ten Bookish Memories


Top Ten Bookish Memories:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Midnight Release:
My friend Colleen and I had gotten up ungodly early to wait in a line outside our local Barnes and Noble for wristbands and then after a day of speculating and fangirling and generally acting like a crazy person we went back and hung around the midnight release party till we got our books around one in the morning. I, of course, read through the rest of the night.

2.Neil Gaiman's One Book talk for Neverwhere at The Harold Washington Library:
Twice a year the CPL does this thing called One Book, One Chicago. In the spring of 2011 the book was Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Now I'm obsessed with Neil Gaiman, as much as a person as as a writer and I was so stoked that he was coming to talk about Neverwhere, and life, and a few mentions of his yet to air episode of Doctor Who. It was fantastic and I now have a signed copy of Coraline to show for the night!

3. Johnathan Safron Foer's talk on Eating Animals, also at The Harold Washington Library:
Foer came to talk about his new non-fiction release, Eating Animals. As a non-vegetarian and a picky eater I was skeptical about going, but Foer is my favorite author and I wasn't going to miss a chance to see him speak. I'm still a picky eater, and I never read Eating Animals but it was a lovely talk and a great memory.

4. Becoming BFF's with Jasmyn, and therefor always having a person to have a bookish freakout with:
Jasmyn was one of the first friends I made at college. We bonded over love of Harry Potter, and other books, but mostly Harry Potter. Of course there are other things we have in common, but she remains my one friend that I can always go to with "So I'm freaking out about this book I'm reading."  We also run Camp or Crap together, in case anyone's interested.

5. My first 24hr readathon:
I think it was the fall of 2010. I just remember reading a lot and being very happy. Oh, and trying to get comfortable in a deceptive and dangerous purple chair. I don't think I actually liked anything I finished that day.

6. Starting Loving Books (DUH):
I've always been a big reader but running this blog has turned me into someone that can also think critically and have real, adult discussions about books. I love the bookish community on the internet and trust your reviews and musings. Thanks for letting me be one of you!

7. Reading Ella Enchanted on a Florida vacation:
I can remember being 13 and perfectly happy hiding out on the balcony of whatever timeshare we were staying at and speeding through Ella Enchanted. It was one of two books I bought that trip. The Other was The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and I'm pretty sure I dropped it in the ocean.

8. Reading on the Train:
This isn't a specific memory but one of the things I miss the most about living in Chicago is taking the train home to Michigan every few months. I loved curling up against the window and devouring an entire book. It was always a great way to start a mini vacation.

9. Rereading Harry Potter every summer before the next book was released:was released:
I was one of those kids who would read Harry Potter every summer, and if there was a new book coming out later that year you could be sure I was picking over the text with a fine toothed comb. Some of my best summer memories are reading Harry by a lake, or at my brothers little league games.

10. A Very Forced Anna Karenina Readalong:
Readalong is a strong word for this but my friend Kirsten and I had decided at the begining of last September that we would read Anna Karenina. We were to start immediately and finish by the time the movie got it's limited release. I loved Karenina, I hated it, I felt everything in between. In the end it was a good time. I enjoyed the movie, too.

Look forward to seeing all your lists!

No comments: